Sunday, August 2, 2009

Beachy Days

We "road tripped" it to Myrtle Beach this year for the family vacation. 19 hours in the car with three children. Wow. I am surprised we are all still alive. Actually it went really well. God bless the parents that wandered farther than an hour from their house before the portable DVD player. There were many jewels placed in your crown during that time. Many.


Myrtle Beach holds a special place in me and David's relationship. It is really where I saw him for the first time and thought he was the cutest thing these Texas eyes had ever seen.


It helped that he was doing this...





Just kidding. That is the baby of the family, Steven. (You're welcome, ladies.)

Yes, it is a special place for both of us. A place where romance bloomed. (birds chirp happily in the background)

Actually, the first time I saw David, he was the announcement guy at the church camp I was attending (yes, in Myrtle Beach) and he was wearing an unfortunate pair of plaid shorts paired with hiking boots and he didn't have a clue I was alive.

Shoot high, people! Never know what is possible. You too could land yourselves the announcement guy. :) Love you, David.

Oh, and if you sense terror in our eyes in this picture, it IS very real. A storm was moving in and lightning was hitting like 30 feet away.

Sheer terror.


So the lady in the middle birthed all these kids. Eight kids. Amazing. Mostly home births with no narcotics. She is every woman. "Cue me some Whitney, people!"


The Miller family is great fun to be a part of so below I give you the most eligible bachelors and bachelorettes of the group. Send in entry forms to...

This is a shot of the whole group minus one niece who had wandered off when this was snapped. No worries, she didn't get far.


This is our family on the beach. We are beach bums through and through.

The real stress was that no matter how many stories I told my kids of people being eaten alive by sharks (the moral of the story being stay out of the water and play on the sand) they totally forgot everything and immediately launched themselves out into water up to their sweet, little necks.

I watched alertly from my lawn chair (which was planted firmly on the beach) and continually searched for any dorsal fins to break the surface so that I could promptly alert the lifeguards. I'm a good mom like that.

*(Thankfully this trip came before shark week. Shark week instills in me the belief that the ONLY safe place to submerge yourself in water is a bathtub and a swimming pool. Any where else you are shark bait. I have no sympathy for the people who are sad about sharks dying. While I watch it, I whisper under my breath, "Die sharks. Die." David tells me to quiet down.)