We've been busy but great.
The week before Christmas my mom treated David and I to a whole day of getting all of our Christmas shopping completed. She kept the kids. Before battling the Christmas crowds at the stores we decided to spend a few hours in history. King Tut is in town and it was calling our names. We circled downtown for about 45 minutes trying to find the King Tut exhibit before we realized that we had entered the wrong address into our GPS. Oops.
Finally we arrive and quickly find a parking place. We enter the exhibit with much anticipation. We tour the halls and see many impressive things. Relics from long ago. All the while eager to see the big guy. You know, King Tut. The guy that the whole exhibit is about. Well upon entering the last room we make the discovery that the mister is NOT actually there. Just a picture of his mummified remains and some "stuff" that they found in his sarcophagus (I love saying that word). BIG let down. Apparently they respect the dead and all that so he has never even been out of his pyramid tomb. I told David they should really rename the exhibit to be "Ancient stuff from Egypt." I guess "King Tutankhamen, The Boy King" sounds much more intriguing but I believe it to be misleading.
Ticket prices are down last we heard so I am betting the sentiment is the same with just about everyone that pays the big bucks to go to this exhibit. The tour guide (after we told her how disappointed we were) cheerily said, "Oh, you can go to Egypt and see him. They have a tour that goes into the pyramid and everything! It is really cool!!" (Never mind that we oozed being totally freaks for being actually let down over not seeing a real body.)
Yeah, we will get right around to that next weekend. Maybe my mom can watch the kids while we run over to Egypt.
We had Christmas with my mom and Bob a few days early. I received the best gift from them. It was the Willow Tree Nativity and I am in love with it. It is absolutely beautiful and I hated putting it away until next year. I was in desperate need of one seeing as how Baby Jesus is missing an arm from our old one. Oh and a wise man literally lost his head a few years ago but was glued back together when the lost head was found.
Bummer alert was waking up the day before Christmas and finding that a bunch of punks had driven through our neighborhood and shot out car windows. My dad's car was a victim.
Christmas was a blast though. We are now battling a Wii addiction and trying our darndest to keep a pink platypus named Eliza alive. She is a Webkinz and I find myself on the computer more often than not trying to win more money for Gwyneth.
Liv got a Barbie vanity and is constantly performing makeovers on me. Probably a sign of things to come.
New Year's Eve was spent with my mom and Bob. We had fun but got into a rather competitive game of Wii golf and somehow managed to carry it into the wee hours of the morning.
David's gift from my mom and Bob were Trans Siberian Orchestra tickets. TSO for all you die hards out there. We dressed our Dallas best and headed downtown once again. This time being sure we knew where we were going. We thought the show started at 6 but upon arriving and double checking our tickets realized we were a good two hours early. Oops again. We had drinks and hung out for awhile. When it was time, we calmly got in line and started to realize that we might be a tad overdressed. We were. TSO is not the Dallas Symphony. It is Pantera. Lots of long hair, fire and lasers. Good times. It is an experience that everyone needs at least once in their life.
Strep hit our house and I ended up getting it along with Jack. Apparently my immune system likes to mimic that of a school age child. Even my doctor couldn't believe that I tested positive for it. Oh well. A few rounds of antibiotics later and bada bing...healed.
We are back into the full swing of school and schedules. I hate when the holidays are over. My house looks so empty but this new year is full of promise. We are praying for big things for my dad's health, the return of my brother from Iraq after 15 months, and the hope for all of us to change and grow and draw closer to the One who has given us another new year to live.
Happy New Year (only a few weeks late)!!