Saturday, August 16, 2008

My Olympic Affair

So to say that I have been "in" to the Olympics would be the understatement of the year.


I have been obsessed.


Glued to my T.V.


Addicted.


Zero self control.


You get the picture.


I am sleep deprived but beyond proud of the United States of America. It almost brings me back to a time when my oldest brother (sorry, Josh) and I would crank up our cassette tape version of "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood and showcase not only our patriotism but also our mad lip synch skills.


Now those were the days.


I also remember watching the Olympics at a young age and every time a Russian lost or say someone from China, my parents would shake their heads and murmur things like, "Well there he goes. Poor thing. He will go back to his country and be beat, tortured, flogged, thrown into a dark dungeon..."


I always felt sorry for those folks BUT looking back I think my parents may have had a flair for the dramatics. Which also goes back to why we were maybe so good at singing us some good ol' Greenwood.


Whatever.


Anyway this 2008 Beijing thing has been beyond incredible.


A top eleven list of moments that stand out to me:


11. Japanese gymnast that fell from the rings. How scary was that? Bless him that he didn't break his neck. I gasped when it happened and woke my snoozing husband up.


10. Alicia Sacramone falling off the beam. Pit in my stomach. Felt beyond bad for her. She was such a sincere hugger too.


9. The American Women's gymnast team taking silver next to the Chinese team. Those cheats. I am passionate about this. No way those girls are all sixteen. I have used words like "travesty" when referring to this situation.


8. Personal anger over the bad judging in the individual gymnastics. Tsk, tsk, tsk. I think the judges were bought.


7. Nastia and Shawn. So proud. I felt like standing up and clapping in my living room. Wait!! I did.


6. The men's gymnastics team saying things like, "That's how we roll. Yeah, boy. Yeah." I was...perplexed? And sadly enough, Jonathan Horton immediately reminded me of this guy so he gave me a creepy feeling. Sorry but true.


5. Two words. Opening. Ceremony.


4. Jason Lezak chases down the cocky frenchman (no, I won't even capitalize it!!). Priceless.


3. Dara Torres. She is incredible and girlfriend has a rock hard body. The forties ain't looking so bad now!!


2. The baby named Mark Spitz. I am mortified for him. Mortified.


1. Superman...er...Michael Phelps. How cute is his mom and sisters cheering for him? I love that the Speedo is a thing of the past in this event. (Synchronized divers are still sporting them but that is a whole other post alone.) What a great example he is and so humble. David says that every man has a man crush on him. I tend to agree.


All in all, a great Olympics so far.

2 comments:

courtney said...

Yes! Those Chinese gymnasts are to sixteen as you are to 27!! ;)

Steve W said...

Oh, David can TOTALLY speak for himself on that one. Dude has a man crush on all super athletic males. I had to shake him off of my leg at the reception!

Your obsession of the Olympics is impressive and yet not compulsive at all. It is also shared by me. I couldn't get enough, and I cannot wait for the winter '10 games.