Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Neighborhood Cool

The following is a true account of an actual conversation that happened in February when Texas decided to become Colorado for a few days and we received inches and inches of beautiful snow.

As overheard by David after he was asked to help:

Jack: We really need to build a huge snow fort with all that snow!

Neighbor Kid: Let's wait till your mom gets home...she can build anything....like that snowman and the snow chair she built the last time it snowed.

Jack: Yeah, let's wait for her. She'll help us!

Walks off.

I don't mean to overstate my "cool" here but the snowmen and the snow chair from this snow season did elicite many praises and applause. I just had no idea that it had earned me such a high place among Jack's friends.

I have finally earned credibility/popularity with the kids in our neighborhood. I fit in and am needed.

Too bad this couldn't have happened back when I was nine and so desperately needed to be cool.

I don't care if my fingers fall off from cold next season; I will hang on to my "cool" parent status.

I will.

"That's how I roll."

I know... that was too far. Plus, I don't even think the kids are saying that anymore.

"Come here, son. Come take a picture with your super cool mom."

Why do I feel like he still needs some convincing?